Tuesday 30 October 2012

Stylistics: How they will be used within my film sequence to create meaning

Cinematography

Throughout the production of my film sequence the cinematography I aim to create is that of which is  conventional of the horror genre. I plan to use many high and low angle shots as this will create a power effect which is conventional of the horror genre. I am also planning to use many close ups of the antagonist to add tension to the sequence as well as using many point of view shots from the antagonist as this is also a convention of the horror genre.

Sound

The sound I am planning on using throughout my film sequence is high stringed as this will build tension throughout the sequence and making the audience feel tense is part of my aim. I also aim to use ‘scary’ music, as this, obviously, adds to the haunting effect I am trying to create throughout my film sequence. I am planning on using ambient sounds such as footsteps as this adds realism to the sequence and is conventional of the horror genre. Within my sequence there is not much dialogue but there is laughter from a young child as well as footsteps from a young child. The use of children within horror is conventional as they are seen as scarier than adults within the genre.

 The clip below is an example of children singing in A Nightmare on Elm Street, portraying the scariness of children in horror films ->


Performance

The characters used within my film sequence consist of a young boy/girl and a 40 year old woman. The young child’s performance will consist of partly running around, playing like a young child normally behaves. The most part of his/her performance will consist of playing the part of a ghost therefore looking upset most of the time, showing a vacant expression and moving particularly slowly. The use of a ghost like performance enhances the genre as ghosts are conventional of the horror genre. The performance of the older woman will consist of her looking shocked and scared but her performance will only last approximately five/seven seconds.


Mis-en-scene

The mis-en-scene I am going to use within my film sequence is conventional of the horror genre. As my sequence consists of a young child, children’s toys will be placed within the sequence therefore enforcing the continuity between the performer and mis-en-scene. As the sequence is set in a house then, obviously, household furniture will be placed in the sequence to reinforce the setting of my film sequence.


Editing

The editing I will use within my film sequence will be conventional of the horror genre as I will use multiple jump cuts to build tension I will use many fade to black edits as this will add tension when a shot appears after the black as the audience will be unaware as to what will appear, which is conventional of the horror genre. The speed of some of the shots will be in fast forward and some of them will be in slow motion as this will add to the surrealism of my film sequence.

The editing used within the film clip below is the style of editing I aim to replicate within my film sequence ->


No comments:

Post a Comment